Become a member of Forskerforbundet
Forskerforbundet – The Norwegian Association of Researchers (NAR) – organises employees and students in research, higher education and dissemination of knowledge. Our main purpose is to increase salaries and improve working conditions for our members.
We are fast approaching 25,000 members; and will mark this by giving away two electric bicycles. We will draw two lucky winners: One who registers until we pass 25,000, and one who recruits a new member during the same period.
Read more about Forskerforbundet and the role of trade unions in Norway. Also, meet some of our international members.
Working in Norway
- We represent our members in all kinds of wage negotiations; at the national level as well as at the local workplace.
- Our members can get free legal assistance in matters regarding their wages or working conditions.
- Forskerforbundet’s local branch at your workplace provides a professional and a social network.
- We offer various courses, conferences and seminars for members, free of charge.
- Our members are offered competitively priced insurance and banking services.
- Our members receive the monthly magazine Forskerforum for free.
Read more about our membership benefits
Forskerforbundet organises students and employees in scientific, technical-administrative or other professional positions that normally require a tertiary qualification, and who work in
- research and development
- higher education
- museums and cultural heritage management
- public administration related to research and higher education
Are you not sure whether you can become a member?
See our guidelines for membership
For 2023, our membership fees are:
- Ordinary fee: NOK 530 a month (full time employee).
- PhD candidate, new member: NOK 133 a month during the first year of membership, then NOK 265 a month for the following years of your PhD period.
- Student: NOK 250 (lump sum).
Do you want to stand alongside many others in a union which is fighting for better education, wages and working conditions? Are you interested in affordable insurance policies and favorable banking services? Join Forskerforbundet as a student member! Student members pay a fee of NOK 250 (lump sum).
We have double membership agreements with a number of Norwegian associations for professionals. With double membership, you can be a member of both organisations without paying double fees.
Read more about double membership
We have reciprocal membership agreements with sister organisations in the Nordic countries, Ireland, Great Britain, Canada and the USA. If you are a member of our sister organisation in one of these countries, you can join Forskerforbundet for free as a guest member.
Read more about guest membership
If you change your address or your employment, take a leave of absence, or retire, you must inform our Central Office. Log on to your personal membership page: "Min side" to update your membership information. It is also possible to terminate your membership via "Min side".
Log on to "Min side" (in Norwegian only)